Thursday 9 July 2009

How Old Am I?

I've recently been confronted several times with evidence that I don't look like an adult. While it is nice to know I can impersonate a teenager anytime I want, it does make me wonder if this face I present to the world is indeed abnormally childlike. Consider the following:

- A nurse at the hospital asked me what school I go to.
- A friend of a friend told me, "You can't learn to drive until you're twenty." (In fact you can do it at 15 or 16 so I'm not sure what the story is here)
- I have problem skin and somewhat irregular teeth.
- I reached my current height at the age of 12 and have been this tall ever since.
- I sleep in a bunkbed. The top one.
- And yes, I am currently learning to drive.


For now, just ignore the fact that I'm writing my fourth novel, I hold a postgraduate degree, and have been a career woman for at least eight years!

All that aside, how old do I look?

7 comments:

Cat said...

Forever young, kiddo. :~)

Andrea Graham said...

about the same age as me :-P

My theory is it's because we don't like to fuss with a ton of makeup. Or at least I've never noticed any. I usually don't unless a woman has way too much on if you know what I mean.

Grace Bridges said...

Interesting theory, Andrea! There might be something in that...

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

even though you gave a few hints, i wouldn't touch age with a ten-foot pole! i NEVER seem to get in the ballpark, even. :)

Inspiration for Writers, Inc. said...

We'll agree with Cat--forever young. :]

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace, thanks for stopping by my blog and voting for my query letter hook. I'll post the winning sentence tonight.

I have the exact same problem with people thinking I'm young! I think very imaginitive people come off as young because so many adults abandon their imagination when they hit college. Sad but true. We authors have to be very imaginative, so there you go.

Last year, at the age of 24, I went out to eat with my parents and COULD NOT convince our waiter that I was over twelve years old. What's scary is that I was even wearing my wedding ring at the time. :D

Rachel Heston Davis
www.rachelhestondavis.wordpress.com

nissa_amas_katoj said...

How can I tell your age when I don't know what planet you're from?

I had the opposite issue. Because I am large, people used to ask me if I was so-and-so's grandmother when I was just out of college!