Sunday 28 November 2010

Summer Santas and Elves



While you enjoy that little bit of Kiwi Christmas fun, consider that those guys ran 10km in santa suits to fundraise for the GP youth group - in other words, to fund cool camps and events and help out those kids who otherwise couldn't go bowling and that sort of thing.

So what else is new? I FINISHED A STORY!! Woohoo! This is unusual as it is not part of my Comet Born series nor even in my preferred genre. It remains to be seen whether it's any good; unfortunately, it seems to have ended up all chicky and romantic, which no doubt is why I had such a hard time writing it. Did I mention I can't stand reading romance? Ick. More on that later, if it ever sees the light of day.  Still, it came in at a respectable almost 4000 words, though I pity whoever has to read 'em.

The river of paying work is still coming, so this week is mostly taken care of as well. My discipline is getting a little better - last week I mostly started work around 8pm and finished after midnight, yet didn't accomplish much during the day at all. Today I finished before 5pm, phew!

I've continued to mess around with the Reaper music software, with varying success. Last night's effort wasn't helped by the fact that I put in a melody line before changing the BPM from 120 to 150, with the result that all my lines are now in sets of three bars - like a 6/8 beat but on a 4/4 grid. Nope, doesn't work at all. I'll have to redraw that song. And drawing it is - since I haven't yet figured out how to attach my keyboard, all of it is constructed by clicking in the note pane. Takes some getting used to - sure ain't like tinkling on the piano - but it does the job.

I should really set up a page somewhere for the few songs I've completed. Some of them are okay, if you ignore the propensity for whooshing sound effects and such. Might be good for a laugh, eh?

4 comments:

M Pax said...

Woot on paying work & finishing a story.

I don't care for reading romance much either. Perhaps because I know how it will end before I start.

Patti Lacy said...

Ran the Jingle Bell run here, so this view is familiar!
Then the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. My partners were turkeys and a Pilgrim. They all passed me!
Blessings,
P

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've been a busy gal! Congrats on the completed story. That's always the most excellent of feelings. Hope you're celebrating with some candy canes, or something.

Teresa Dawn said...

Haha, I'm not a huge romance reader either, but I have written a few rather romantic stories... odd. Congrats on finishing the one you were working on!