Saturday 5 January 2008

Time Masters by Geralyn Beauchamp - Book 1 "The Call"


When I first read this book's description, I thought it reminded me a little of Doctor Who. Timelords, Time Masters, sound kind of similar? Sure.

The comparison may stand, but you'll need to add a few random elements to the mix. A fierce Highlander, a dozen cats, a grinning African, several worried chaperones, chocolate chip cookies, an antique weapons shop, an alien race, a gruesomely evil villain and his clueless hirelings, and a plentiful supply of cliffhanger climaxes. And that's not even the half of it.

You will need to be fairly tolerant of grammar and sentence structure best described as "original". However, this is certainly part of the author's effervescent style, even if it tends towards chaos at times. The rambunctious storyline is so ''out there" that its daring expressiveness is just one more aspect to leave you shaking your head in disbelief. But dinna fash yerself - the writing style is certainly vivid and gripping, including a particularly evocative rendering of the hero's Scottish dialect. Good job!

The plot will keep you on your toes for sure. You can sense how the author must have had an exciting time writing it. There are many scenes that are curiously poignant, and many profound allegorical images of things like justice, sex, music, faith. But the deepest comments are those regarding the state of being in love, being intended for the other, giving your heart away, and finally sharing one heart. All this across the breadth of three time periods - a distant past, an even more distant future, and one something like our present day.

A zany mix of cliches and genres, often hilarious, quite possibly the wildest journey of your life, aud certainly anything but predictable. If you are able to turn a blind eye to a few anomalies, I think you'll enjoy this rip-roaring tale very much indeed.

Grace Bridges, reporting from a library in Northern Ireland :)

5 comments:

Caprice Hokstad said...

How did I miss the dozen cats? I must have purposely driven them from memory to prevent nightmares. We had 12 cats in our little mobile home last spring when two of our three adult cats had kittens at the same time. Not an experience I'd want to repeat, I assure you. I'm not even real keen on the five cats we ended up with (two of the kittens never got adopted, and I think my 20-year-old daughter planned it that way). Only one of the five cats actually likes me. Oh well.

Thanks for posting, Grace. We'd have missed you if you hadn't found that internet cafe!

cathikin said...

I had forgotten about the cats, too. One of the funny parts is with Kitty's Dad having to shove his way through them to answer the door, and then all of them following Shona like she was a pied piper of some sort. And then when the one male cat communicated with her! Shona has a lt of hidden talents.

David said...

Chocolate chip cookies! I forgot them!!! I usually tell people to tell the reader what the accent of a character is and not try to write it out, but Geralyn does a fantastic job.

As for the length, I read it through TWICE and enjoyed it better the 2nd time around. And that's saying something since I found it fabulous the first time around.

Author Kit Morgan said...

Ok, so you guys best get out your best chocolate chip cookie recipes. I'm going to have a context down the road for the best cookie recipe for Dallan. There are, after all, his favorite 'flat cake'. And the lucky winner just may win a poster of Dallan himself!

Oh, and Sinclair the cat ... well, he has a few surprises for us in book two, Time Masters, The Prophecy. :)

Author Kit Morgan said...

Whoops! Make that CONTEST!!!! CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE CONTEST. I really need to be wearing my glasses when I post! LOL!