Wednesday 24 February 2010

A Visit to Rotorua

Rotorua's got to be one of the smelliest cities on the planet. And no, it's not due to any unwieldy rubbish dump or suchlike. The entire area sits on a thin planetary crust, allowing all sorts of sulphuric minerals and other hot things to bubble up to the surface. I made a couple of videos there last weekend - hope you enjoy these amazing landscapes!





My article last week in the Colorado City News provides a textual introduction to this rather...aromatic city. In the next couple of days I'll be doing another article on Waimangu and Tikitere which you see in these videos, so keep an eye out for that.

I hope this will be the start of a true series of globetrotting videos and slideshows set to music. Next up: Ireland!


4 comments:

Krysti said...

I'm glad it was you that went there, Grace, and not me! (and that your video doesn't come with "smelleo" too! hahaha!)

I think the only place we have in the U.S. that's similar is Yellowstone National Park. I've been there and enjoyed the geysers and hot springs. I don't remember any sulphur though.

Andrea Eames said...

Publishing takes over your life a bit, doesn't it, Grace? Hehe! Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

A xx

Unknown said...

That's the problem with all those luscious hot springs: stinky, stinky!

One Womans Life said...

Thanks for enriching my life with these videos! I could almost smell it from Canada!