Tuesday 5 February 2013

Zumba's Revenge

I had planned to get fit. You know, doing lots of stuff, walking and going to the gym. Well, so much for that - for the next month or so at least.

It was yesterday at 6pm. My first ever Zumba class. I've always been fascinated by the idea and wanted for a long time to give it a go. So I did. 

It was the freaking warm-up song. It was not hard or fast; just step to this side, then the other. Easy peasy. Then - bam.

I stepped back, leaned against the wall, and clutched at my right calf. It was just like one of those nighttime leg cramps I get sometimes if I don't eat enough bananas. You know the kind.

Except it didn't go away.

I finished out the class on one foot and just doing the arm movements. Called Mum for a lift home (my car is still not going), ascended to my room with great difficulty and attempted to settle down for the night. Half an hour later I was sobbing into my sleeves with the pain, which still has not changed in the slightest since it happened.

So I called Mum again and off we went to the after-hours doctor. Probably torn, she said, but you need an ultrasound to be certain, and they were already closed. Ultrasound today showed a 2-inch tear on the inside of the leg, just above the sock line.



I'm not to put weight on it for 3 weeks, maybe 4. I'm a total klutz with the crutches and totally immobile without them. Going downstairs involves sliding on my rear and coming up involves crawling. 

Thank goodness for Mum - she's helped me set up my room so I can manage. It's going to be an interesting few weeks mostly stuck in here.

I have a massive to-do list, but a good deal of it is going to have to wait. At least I can do my desk work, in bed, sort of...

7 comments:

Chila said...

Oh, dang! So sorry to hear this. Much Skyping needs to go on in the next few weeks, I think. Sorry didn't get back to you last night - went to the doc myself. Will talk soon.

Kat Heckenbach said...

Ow, ow, ow. I am just glad it is a tear and not a blood clot. Those symptoms you described on Facebook had me worried.

Take care!!

Jessica Thomas said...

Oh dear. This is the frustrating thing about starting an exercise routine. I was down and out for months and months after I injured my knee during just five minutes of running. You are not alone. :( Feel better soon.

l said...

Ugh! Not fun...especially when you were all pumped up to start exercising! :( Hope you feel better quickly!

everlastingscribe said...

Oh no! Poor Grace. This is not the kind of adventure that I authorized for you!

Kristen said...

Darn you, Zumba!!!
Sorry to hear that it was not kind to you. Praying for quick healing and lots of great writing time!!

Roger said...

Owwww.... Sorry to hear that... Take it easy, be kind to yourself. Heal gently.