Thursday 29 August 2013

Going Without...Internet


So here I am on a beautiful South Sea island - yes, I live on one too, but this is different - endless beaches, exciting foods, lagoon islands, wild animals and other cute locals. Still I find my mind wandering back often to my online life that's going on without me right now. Is anybody commenting on my scheduled posts? Are there questions waiting that only I can answer? My fingers itch to home in on a keyboard and connect.

But I mean, what the heck? That's not what I'm here for. I'm sitting on a deserted beach, turquoise water at my feet, the roar of the surf pounding the outer reef, and a friendly local dog who's taken up residence beside me in the golden sand. Why on earth would I even be thinking of the old everyday stuff? I could say I miss my friends, but it's only been one day. I'm stronger than that.

No, I'm here today to enjoy the solace of solitude, and other days to celebrate with my family. There's an internet café down the road at $12 an hour, so I could get on if I was desperate. However, I really don't think that's necessary. The world beyond this island can do without me for a week - or rather, the world and I can do without each other.

No comments: