Wednesday 16 December 2015

Walk 6 - Kaipatiki Forest

I needed to go to the mall and pick up milk, so I first headed for the forest some way beyond it. Alas, not a coastal walk, but rather 2.5 km on roadsides to get to the forest in the first place. But that's okay, because "the woods are lovely, deep and dark" (though not frosty :P ) and it's one of the few places IN the city to get AWAY from the city. Nothing but silence and birdsong and the wind in the treetops. I got all the way down to the waterfall, though I hadn't intended to, and had trouble finding some of the trails I used to take - overgrown, impassable. There's no map and the signage at intersections is patchy at best, but it was great to reacquaint myself with a place I once went regularly, when I lived across the road. Here's an older article I wrote about it, with more pictures. Except I didn't drive there this time. Total: 8.8 km, and it didn't feel like that much at all!

No comments: