Saturday 28 September 2013

Reading: I, Robot by Isaac Asimov


I did not think I had read this book. Imagine my surprise, then, when I went onto Goodreads to find this cover image, and it appeared with a big green tick. I think this must have been in Balbriggan, where I raided the science fiction shelves all the months of my stay.

Anyway, it did not seem familiar as I read it. Of course I've seen the movie by the same name, but that is completely unrelated to the stories in this book.

These are linked stories, various narratives from one woman's lifetime as she worked with robots from her youth to old age. So they span a goodly number of years in order to show the development of robot capabilities, and the settings vary from laboratories to family homes to space stations and other planets.

This, then, was a spark that ignited the imaginations of many as regards robots. Really, it just seems like the very tip of the iceberg, a bare touch of the subject matter. Asimov went into much greater depth in many other robot books to follow, I see.

No comments: